It has happened! Achieve has released the first public draft of the Next Generation Standards for review. Here is my recommendation for your next steps.
1. Find a group of educators and select a section of the NGSS document to review. The standards are presented by grade level for grades K-5 and by grade span at 6-8 and 9-12. The writers have integrated the core disciplinary ideas related to Engineering, Technology and Society into the standards for Life Science, Physical Science and Earth/Space Science at grade K-5. At grades 6-8 and 9-12 the writers have written separate standards for Engineering, Technology and Society and Life Science, Physical Science, and Earth/Space Science.
2. Read “How to Read the NGSS.”
3. Be a student of the FRAMEWORK! Remember that Achieve, the Lead States and the writers are developing standards to reflect the vision in A Framework for K-12 Science Education. Help the writers to understand if they have paired the Practices, Crosscutting Concepts and Core Disciplinary Ideas well. Help the writers to understand if they have integrated Engineering, Technology and Society into K-5 appropriately. Help the writers to understand if they have interpreted the K-12 continuum of the Practices and Crosscutting Ideas appropriately.
4. Don’t waste time. The window for public input closes on June 1, 2012. Access the online survey now.
5. Visit the Achieve website.